Driving in the fog How to act?
The fog is as unpredictable as it is real, but how do we act if it suddenly appears before us on the road? First of all, it is important that the vehicle is in excellent condition, of course that it has adequate fog lights and that the driver drives attentively.
Fog is formed from water droplets that are held at a low height. In simple terms they are clouds that have rolled down to the ground, but as they are very dense then it becomes difficult to see when driving. It is very important to learn to make yourself visible when driving in these conditions so that other drivers, as well as pedestrians, on the road can see you.
Fog lamps are special. Headlights installed at the rear of the vehicle cannot be adjusted. Headlights installed at the front should be set as low as possible so that when they are turned on they form a 45° angle from bottom to top, to improve the angle of visibility. These lights are intense, so they should only be used in fog.
How to drive under the fog?
With the car in good condition, and the special lights for fog and snow a part of the driving is saved; however, it is important to drive safely following these simple tips:
- Before you start your journey it is important to clean up the car windows very well and remove any water or snow residue.
- It is important to check that the headlights turn on correctly.
- If it is necessary to adjust the lights, it is never wrong to check that they are safe and well placed.
- A golden recommendation is to travel slowly, driving conditions in fog are dangerous enough to add to your stress.
- Snow or fog lights should be used when visibility is reduced to approximately 100 meters, because they are too intense. Once you have crossed the foggy stretch, the lights should be switched off.
- Another golden tip is to avoid driving with high beams. They may allow you to see a little further but they can also create a mirror effect.
- Since fog is nothing more than tiny droplets of water it is important to drive with the windscreens active to clean up that moisture and prevent it from sticking to the glass.
- Because of the change in temperature inside and outside the vehicle, the windows often become foggy. A little heat can help prevent this, but lowering the windows will also help immediately.
- Under foggy conditions it is important to keep your distance. One safety measure is to consider that you should calculate twice the distance as if you were driving in normal conditions.
- If you are traveling on a highway, it is best to consider driving in the slowest lane and especially to stay calm, to avoid passing if you don’t have to.
- When driving with a vehicle ahead, under foggy conditions, you instinctively follow, but it is important to stay alert and better use the reference line to avoid any accident.
- In foggy conditions, you should brake gently because otherwise your tires may lock up and cause a skid.
- In difficult conditions it is better to avoid music and distractions. If you reach an intersection and the fog is dense then it is best to take your time and roll down the windows to listen carefully and pass through until you are completely safe.
- When the fog gets too dense it is best to be cautious and park in a safe place such as a petrol station or in a large space. It is not advisable to stay at the edge of the sidewalk because this action can distract other drivers. It is better to be late than to have an accident because you are not waiting for a while.
- If the fog is too dense and there is no place nearby to park, then you should activate the flashing lights and drive slowly. Another cautious action is to brake gently and constantly so that other vehicles can see how far away you are.
It is important to find out about the local weather conditions, fog usually arises mainly in the early morning or late afternoon, but that is not a rule, once the conditions are right then a fog bank may be present at any time.
The fog can also freeze the road, so you should travel at a safe speed and be able to brake if necessary. Visit omegadrivingschool to find a safe place to study